Thursday, October 27, 2011

Not (Completely) Lost on Me

So, EUM at Lost Society was pretty good last night.  The food was decent (better than okay but not wow).  BR and I shared the roasted bone marrow with parsley/red onion salad and roasted beets, the pork belly over collard greens, and the root beer braised short ribs.  Shatterproof got the tomato soup with grilled cheese. 

The marrow was the star of the night.  The combo of the hot melty marrow over very nice and light water bread slices with the fresh parsley/onions and roasted beets sprinkled with sea salt was awesome!  And the marrow was easy to scoop out of the bones!  I hate when the bones are so thin/awkward that trying to scoop the marrow out is a chore.  That’s one reason I didn’t care for the marrow at CommonWealth.  Whoever’s choosing the bones at Lost Society is getting it right.  

The short ribs came in a slightly distant second.  Very tender and rich and sweet.  But if the menu says they come with turnip puree, add some turnip puree to the dish.  The tablespoon of puree that made it on the plate was basically only to hold the short ribs in place. The pork belly was very disappointing to me as a Rican and lover of pig.  Yeah, it was fatty and rich and roasty.  But it was also kind of dry and definitely over-seared and too crunchy on the meaty side.  The greens were good, though.  They had a nice bite/slight crunch to them and were just vinegary/bacony enough.  Quite good.  Shaterproof’s soup was like tomato-flavored buttercream.  It was yummy, don’t get me wrong, but it was definitely a bit much.

With all this said, my feeling was that the place was definitely a bar that serves food.  Which is fine, I guess.  The bar on the first level is huge and smack in the middle of the room with tables and booths around it.  Not that much floor space to move around.  And loud as all get-out.  The upper level is huge!  There may have been tables up there for dining, but I wouldn’t know because all I saw was the expanse of open floor and the 2 gargantuan bars.  Or maybe there were 3 bars?  I don’t know.  All that open space overwhelmed me. 

Anywho, I'm not pressed to run back, but I'll definitely go back to check out other menu items.  Rating:  2 besos (out of 4).

0 comments: