Wednesday, November 30, 2011

He's Alive! Alive!

I was so sad last week when I'd heard that Black Cat Bill had passed away. I hadn't seen him in a very long while, so I figured that news of his death was true. Just like Compliment Man in Adams Morgan. I know the story is that he moved to Florida to be closer to his family, but maybe that's just what people said just like how parents tell their kids that a suddenly-missing pet was sent to a farm to have more space to roam and be happy. Hmmm... But, man, Compliment Man was a riot. I remember my first compliment from him was back in 1992 exiting Café Lautrec after a night of much eating and underage drinking arm in arm with 2 of the girls in my group (actually, one of them was a professor who was sleeping with one of my floor mates at the time, but that's neither here nor there). Compliment Man complimented their shoes and hair and complimented me on being accompanied by 2 lovely ladies. So cool!

But back to Bill. My fondest memory of him was one night ages ago (when the only white people in the 'hood were the lesbians on Wallach Pl. -- update: and the original T Street Crew, too, but I didn't know them back then) that I saw poor Bill topple off his milk crate, and I ran over to help him back up. Picture it. Me, the little 120lbs. (so not the case anymore) kid trying to lift the 200+lbs. 14th Street fixture a mere 6" off the ground. It wasn't happening. But I did get it done with the help of two Black Cat employees. Ever since then Bill gave me a wink and smile, and every so often we chatted for a bit before I'd go into the club to get my music and drink on. So, oh happy day today when I find out that he's still with us!  Hooray for you, Bill!  Maybe not in your best shape, but alive.  Glad to see you're doing okay.

0 comments: