Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Now What Am I Spoda Do?

It's so very true that now that the elections are over I haven't known how to use the Interwebs to pass the time when I don't feel like working. Luckily Slate is there to help a Rican out.

I think I'll make my next e-time occupier the post-Prop 8 events in California (and around the nation), though. The issue of gay marriage is much too important not to follow. And it's not just a benefits issue, either, but one of basic human rights and equal protection under the law. No group of people deserves to be targeted as a group and excluded from the Constitutional rights and privileges enjoyed by others in society. I think that's the one aspect of this whole debate, shamefully, that hasn't been hammered home and may have led to Prop 8's "yes" win. And let's not forget that we have DOMA to fight against in addition to the battles under way at the state level. Hopefully the strides made in MA and CT (and CA, for now) will count for something at the federal level when DOMA is finally done away with. That requires mega coordination and a renewed activist spirit, which you can see rising but isn't quite there yet. Maybe if peeps watch movies like "Milk" they'll be more motivated to become involved in the matter. I saw the movie last night at a Victory Fund event in Mazza Gallerie with Shaterproof and actually cried I thought it was that good. And I tell you it got me motivated. I'ma gonna give $$ to the Victory Fund as a first step. Another step will be to march this Saturday in protest of Prop 8. Who knows where I'll go from there? Political position in the new administration? Hmmm...

0 comments: