Friday, December 12, 2008

Gimme Gimme #15

Last night the Jayhawk and I braved the floods and went to dinner at Posto. Not much changed design-wise from the old days of Viridian, and neither did the food. The place was packed, so we snagged a spot at the bar right by the front door. Pas de good move number 1 because the wind whipping outside kept going right up my pants legs every time someone came in or went out. Pas de good move number 2 was ordering vino. The way the wine taps are set up only allows for filling up a glass at a time, and for a busy bar, that's no fun. Then the food was not so pas de good move number 3. The pizza piccante was anything but; good flavors, but not spicy at all. The gnocchi were more like six polenta rounds with some sauce called amatriciana that was little more than a plain marinara. The grilled boar was chewy. The one good thing was the tagliatelle with pheasant ragout. But no grated cheese? I can appreciate clean food, but come on, now. And what about offering a Rican a napkin to place on his lap, onetime? Pas de good move number 4. The place was hoppin' though, I'll give it that. Definitely the place to be seen in the scene. If your scene happens to be of the snooty power gay kind, that is. I'd recommend checking it out, but it's not a place I'll go running back to.

A place I always run back to, though, is Hank's Oyster Bar. Another is Mark & Orlando's (although Mark did call me out on not having been there in like 2 months). Yet others are Ten Penh and Ceiba and Acadiana. Jaleo and Zaytinya are faves, too. And gift certificates to any of those places would make great stocking stuffers. As would certificates to places I've never been before (Café Atlántico, anyone?). Mango's always up for some good food.

0 comments: